CANTON FLEA MARKET SHOPPING TIPS
The following tips have been complied by the intrepid staff at The Emporium (an unique store on the Historic Canton Square - the Square is the focal point of the Canton Flea Market.)
These tips are to aid you in your shopping (treasure hunt - get more goodies) and have a good time at the Canton Flea Market!
1. Come Early (the old adage: "the early bird gets the worm" applies here)....some of the items displayed are "one-of-a-kind" and are priced to move.
2. Be decisive! All the time we'll have shoppers bemoaning that they missed a great deal because they didn't make a quick decision. They waited, walk away from a vendor and when they tried to go back to make a purchase and shazam! it's gone. (Or, they couldn't remember how to make it back to the vendor.)
3. Don't go crazy! Remember you're walking, so buying a 50 lb item and having to lug it around all day is crazy! Check with the merchant to see if you can buy and have them hold the purchase for pick up later. At our store (and our outside tent,) The Emporium, customers can buy and we'll be glad to hold their purchase for pick up later (up to even several days later!)
4. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing. Every year, we see people struggling with outfits and shoes that must of been designed to cause as much pain as possible.
5. Don't forget to bring your sunglasses or readers. You don't want to miss a bargain because you couldn't see! (If you need a pair, don't fret just stop by The Emporium, we sell great ones for $8.99 each.)
6. Drop Calls or "All Lines are Busy" are the norm for cell phone usage during the heavy traffic periods of the day (which is most of the day!) So be prepared to employ alternate methods of communicating with others.
7. Due to the sketchy nature of wireless phone usage (as mentioned above) during the event - for a portion of the day vendors will be unable to transact credit and debit card purchases. That's the reason why we (at The Emporium) go "old school" and use multiple land lines (even for the outside tent) for our credit card machines.
With the new credit card chip requirement going into effect (Oct. 1, 2015) and the increased "processing" time it takes to handle chip cards this could drastically effect shoppers ability to use plastic even more with outside vendors. Luckily, there are four banks with ATM's right on or near the Canton Square.
8. Be prepared for the weather! Since you will spend most of the time outside for this event - For the sun I would pack a cap and sunscreen. For the rain - a compact poncho.
9. Be ready for Nature when it calls......in other words, notice available restrooms during your hunt. FYI: On the Canton Square, we (at The Emporium) are proud to have the nicest and cleanest restroom around!
10. Unless you're the Energizer Bunny you will eventually need to take a rest... so notice potential locations for pit stops, to sit or to refuel (food/drink.) On the Canton Square, there are several nice benches to rest at. Also, at The Emporium (with any purchase) we give out free Cokes or bottled water. Plus, we have free fresh popcorn made all day long!!